Online Account FAQ
For your convenience, we've compiled the answers to the online account questions most frequently asked by our customers. If you still have questions after reviewing these FAQs, please send an email to SkillCheck support. You will receive an answer within one business day.
A very comprehensive range of questions are answered in the TechTips in our Resources section; click on the "Resources" tab at the top of this page.
To see the Technical Requirements document for SkillCheck Online testing, click here.
SkillCheck Internet Testing - Technical Questions
- What hardware do I need to run SkillCheck's Internet testing?
- What software do I need to run SkillCheck's Internet testing?
- What are the connection and bandwidth requirements for SkillCheck's Internet testing?
- Can I run SkillCheck's Internet testing from behind a firewall? What about a proxy server?
- Can we run our own copy of SkillCheck's Internet system over an intranet or other LAN, WAN or VPN?
- When I try to use an eTicket that was sent to my Hotmail account, I can't start the exam.
SkillCheck Internet Testing
SkillCheck supports recent versions of Microsoft Windows (7/ Vista/ 2003/ XP/ 2000), as well as certain configurations of Mac OS 9 and OS X. Please contact SkillCheck Sales for more information.
All you need is a compatible Web browser; SkillCheck recommends Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer 8. Earlier versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer are also supported however there are know issues with Internet Explorer 7.0 due to Microsoft programming shortcomings.
SkillCheck also recommends the following browser settings:
- Pop-up windows should not be disabled (Pop-up blockers turned OFF).
- Page caching should be turned off completely. Choose Tools/Internet Options/Settings... and select the "Every visit to the page" option.
- JIT compiler turned off.
An ICA browser plug-in mayl be installed when you first connect to our Internet testing. On Windows NT, 2000, XP, Vista and 7, you will need to have program install rights (Computer Administrator rights) to allow installation of this plug-in.
Please contact SkillCheck Sales for information on which Mac OS and browser combinations are supported.
You need to be able to open a standard http Web connection (TCP/IP port 80) to our servers. You also need to be able to connect using standard 128-bit SSL (TCP/IP port 443) to our servers.
Note: Hotmail users must follow special instructions to use online testing. See TechTip #13 on our Resources page.
These are the minimum and recommended bandwidth requirements for Online Testing:
- Standard Tests: The minimum recommended bandwidth to run non-audio tests is a dedicated 56 kbps client-side connection per workstation. At this speed, tests will have delays at test start and end but generally will give acceptable, although slow performance during the test.
- Audio-enabled Tests: The minimum recommended bandwidth to run audio tests is a dedicated 128 kbps client-side, high-quality, low-latency connection per workstation.
If your system is able to make standard http (TCP/IP port 80) and SSL/https (TCP/IP port 443) connections to external servers, then you should be able to run SkillCheck Online Testing.
Those with a Proxy Server within their configuration/ network should click here to contact us for additional information.
SkillCheck's network testing software is available for deployment over LANs and WANs. The SkillCheck Internet system is Internet-based and can be accessed via browsers within your organization's network, but you cannot install your own copy of SkillCheck's Internet product on your internal network. If you have further questions about SkillCheck's software and Internet testing solutions, please contact SkillCheck Sales
SkillCheck Internet Testing does not support exam delivery inside hotmail. To start an exam from an eTicket delivered to hotmail, copy the link and paste it into a standalone browser. See also TechTip #13 on our Technical Tips page.
I still have questions. What should I do?